Match Report -
Celtic Home Won Over Cammell Laird
By Debbie Taylor

Celtic were probably expected to beat a Cammell Laird side rooted to the foot of division three below Celtic, even so it was a tidy performance from Celtic and the strike force found their shooting boots.

Celtic got their noses in front almost in their first attack, with a Scott Spencer cross after beating the fullback, for a completely unmarked Adam Morning to run in on, and side foot for Celtic's first. Celtic kept pressing, but were content to keep possession, leaving Cammell Laird chasing shadows. A Danny Wilkins cross to the front post was for Spencer, but Adam Rooney got there just ahead of the Celtic striker, his flicked header only just wide of his own post. After nearly thirty passes, Morning finally burst to the by-line, turned Danny Lomax and whipped in a low cross to Wilkins running in, the shot was well struck, but straight down Dave Parkinson's throat.

As long as it was 1-0, Cammell Laird had to feel they could get something, and they did when Jordan Wynne pounced on a half cleared cross, setting himself well and curling in a decent strike from twenty yards.

Celtic got straight back at Cammell Laird, Spencer forcing a corner with a wicked shot that was sent looping over the bar by Rooney's shin, Parkinson beaten. From the corner, Cammell Laird were struggling to clear when it came to Spencer who tried the overhead kick, Parkinson reacting superbly to palm the ball over the bar. Another goal was coming, and it came through Wilkins trap of Adam Mather's ball, twist and run past the defence. Brad Wood wasn't quick enough and brought Wilkins down in the box. Spencer stepped up, and sent Parkinson the wrong way with a well struck penalty to put Celtic back in front.

Celtic went for the jugular. From a corner, Josh Heaton was denied by a superb close range save, the loose ball falling to Spencer who didn't think and smashed home Celtic's third, to put Celtic two to the good at the interval.

After the interval, Celtic were moving the ball around quickly and with purpose. The half was started as with the first, Adam Morning firing in a low cross after showing persistence at the by-line, Wilkins was the recipient, racing in unmarked and side footing past Parkinson. The score went to 5-1 when an Eddie Toner corner was met by the head of Josh Heaton in a crowd, thumping the ball past the out flung arm of Parkinson.

It should have been six when substitute Callum Bagshaw smashed a shot on the run, but Parkinson, despite the score-line was having a decent game and stretched to produce a good save. Nor would the sixth come, even after Morning cut inside and - with no passes on - tried himself. He fired across Parkinson, his shot smacking the foot of the post, coming out to the young academy midfielder, Jude Oyibo, who fired over.

It did come when Morning used pace and power to get past the defence, drew the remaining defender and keeper, before squaring to Spencer to notch his hat-trick, and Celtic's sixth.

Two minutes later, Cammell Laird pulled one back when Joseph Campbell raced down the wing and pulled a low cross into the box. Matty Hughes was favourite to hack the ball clear, but he slipped, gifting a simple finish to Rhys Hardacre.

Not to be outdone, Celtic restored the five goal advantage straight from the kick off. Oyibo showing a nice turn of pace and pulling the ball back for the unmarked Wilkins to double his personal tally. Brad Wood nearly added to Celtic's total with a looping lob over his head and over his keeper's reach, missing the goal by scant inches. From the corner, Spencer headed the corner over the bar. A superb cross from Morning found Wilkins at the back post again unmarked, but this time, Parkinson got back across the face of goal, pushing the ball round the post, Heaton heading the corner over the bar.

Cammell Laird got a consolation in stoppage time, when Celtic lost concentration, and a poor pass back to Grant Shenton left the Celtic keeper stranded, and Rhys Hardacre one-on-one. Hardacre's finish was a good one, a looping lob over Shenton, and in at the far post.

Cammell Laird never really looked like winning this one, Celtic looked comfortable, and we go on in the Cheshire Senior Cup.

1Parkinson, Dave  
2Lomax, Danny  
3Christianson, ConnorYellow Card 
4Rooney, Adam  
5Wood, Brad  
6Byrne, Joe  
7Milne, Steve  > 56
8Toner, Elliott  > 63
9Hardacre, Zak  > 67
10Wynne, Jordan  
11Hardacre, Rhys  
12Kerr, Callum  < 67
14Campbell, Joseph  < 56
15Murray, Tom  < 63
16Bademosi, Ezekiel  
Main club sponsor
Dream Bi-Folding Doors Official Shirt Sponsors of Stalybridge Celtic
Warm-up Kit Sponsor
Mulgrew Haulage - Official Warm-up Kit Sponsors of Stalybridge Celtic
Site Sponsor
MG Domestic - Official Site Sponsors of Stalybridge Celtic
Hospitality Providers
Bower Fold Events - hospitality providers