Match Report -
Celtic Earn Valuable Point Away From Home
By Taran Dhamrait

Celtic earned a valuable point away from home at The Skuna Stadium as Will Goodwin bagged his first Celtic goal in a an entertaining draw vs Atherton Colls.

Atherton took the lead early on through Marcus Cusani before Goodwin scored a superb leveller from outside the penalty area.

Both sides had chances to win it but neither could find the final touch.

Celtic started brightly and should have gone ahead after just five minutes. After a quick counter attack, Celtic were three on one. Jon Ustabasi slid the ball to the left towards Nic Evangelinos, his powerful strike at goal was saved superb by Danny Taberner. 

Celtic were made to rue that missed chance as Atherton went up the other end of the pitch and scored just seconds after. Celtic did manage to regain possession before Kallum Mantack played a back pass which was too short and Cusani was able to intercept and fire past Tom Stewart.

Stewart was called into action a couple of more times, saving shots from Dylan Glass and a powerful strike from Elliott Rokka.

Celtic looked threatening going forward and Goodwin saw a half volley blocked after 18 minutes.

Celtic then had another glorious opportunity. A loose pass was intercepted by Evangelinos, Taberner did well to race out of his goal and save the effort from Evangelinos.

Just four minutes later and Celtic got the goal they had probably deserved. On 26 minutes, Goodwin found a yard of space and drove towards goal, he sent a curling shot from just outside the area past Taberner and into the top right corner to score his first goal for Celtic.

Celtic’s number nine continued to threaten and the Chester loanee saw another effort fall just wide of the near post after cutting inside from the left of the penalty area just before half time.

Callum Harris saw a volley saved by Taberner shortly after the restart before Evangelinos dragged a shot across goal and wide after being put through on goal.

On the hour. Atherton’s keeper Taberner mis-placed a header which saw Ustabasi chasing the loose ball down as it rolled towards the goal but a crucial tackle from a defender was enough to clear the ball.

Atherton began to push for the winner and Matty Makinson had to make a fantastic last ditch tackle to prevent a forward from getting a shot at goal.

Celtic nearly took the lead with 13 minutes to go. After some good build up play, Ustabasi was found to the right of the penalty area, he powered the ball towards goal, it looked like it was going to go in but it cannoned back off the right hand post.

Celtic’s number one was called into action with seven minutes to go. Substitute Jordan Darr had been sent through on goal but he couldn’t beat Stewart who saved his shot with his feet, denying a certain goal.

There was a late free-kick for Celtic as Goodwin was fouled by the keeper, Celtic’s goalscorer had to go off after the challenge and he was replaced by Lewis Salmon.

Celtic couldn’t convert the free-kick in added time and the points were shared at The Skuna Stadium.

1Taberner, DannyYellow Card 
2Smith, Clive  
3Peet, Gareth  
4Lambert, Danny  
5Lafferty, Dan  
6Smith, Rick  
7Bannister, Jack  > 63
8Bailey, Vincent  
9Glass, Dylan  > 59
10Rokka, Elliott  
11Cusani, Marcus  
12Darr, Jordan  < 59
13Wynne, Elliott  
14Conway, Ben  < 63
15Battersby, Niall