Match Report -
Friendly Loss At Hyde
By Debbie Taylor

On the positive side, Celtic scored three, but on the negative, they conceded four.

Hyde took the lead in the opening few minutes when Lewis King caught one of the Hyde trialists in his box conceding a penalty that David Brown fired home just beyond the fingertips of King.

Aaron Burns stung Russ Saunders fingers with a low shot and Danny Pilkington lobbed keeper and bar from the edge of the box as Celtic looked for an equaliser. That equaliser came just after the half hour and just after King had pulled off a superb stop. Luke Ashworth and Danny Morton interchanged, the former whipping in a cross to the near post, where Lasana Mendes turned the cross in under Saunders.

Celtic lived rather dangerously at the back for the remainder of the half, with Brown and the Hyde trialist seeing efforts cleared off the line by Luke Ashworth and Alex Honeyball. With the defence creaking, eventually it snapped, a simple cross in, a simple catch for King, but he dropped the ball, it looked like an own goal, the ball dropping into the net, but Ryan Ellison was close enough to be awarded the goal.

The second half saw a litany of changes, before Hyde put themselves further in front, after an initial shot crashed back off the bar, it fell nicely to Pete Boyle who fired home.

The two goal lead lasted less than three minutes, when Theo Baily-Jones pulled the ball back for a Celtic trialist, who rode the challenges and required two chances as the defenders crashed into him, but the second chance was well put away.

Celtic almost got the equaliser when Greg Wilkinson skipped a shot that had Saunders scrambling, but went even further behind when another Hyde trialist got onto a half cleared corner and doubled Hyde's lead. It could have been worse moments later, Karl Jones bringing a close range reaction stop from King. It was another fine stop from a free kick with a few minutes remaining that kept the difference at two.

That difference was reduced to one when Ben McKenna found Greg Wilkinson and at full stretch, Wilkinson put the ball perfectly beyond Saunders. There was no time for a last second equaliser, and the Ray Stanley Memorial Trophy went to Hyde.

Celtic from: Lewis King, Danny Morton, Alex Honeyball, Luke Ashworth, Andy Langford, Adam Jones, Theo Baily-Jones, Lasana Mendes, Aaron Burns, Dan Pilkington, Lee Neville, Liam Dickinson, Greg Wilkinson, Ben McKenna, Liam Tonge, Gary Gee and two trialists.