COVID-19 Policy - please click here
Match Report -
Celtic record a first win, but at a cost
By Iain Benson
Celtic recorded their first win of the season against a spirited Barnsley XI made up of youngsters, reserves and a smattering of first team players, but at the cost of an injury to midfield terrier Jack Rea.

Arthur Gnahoua was in among the early action, slicing a shot wide, and setting up Phil Marsh to fire low into Lukas Lidakevicius arms in the centre of goal. After Greg Wilksinson tried to beat the Barnsley keeper at the near post, Adam Kay won a corner that he whipped in himself. It wasn't dealt with by the Barsnley defence, and Craig Hobson was able to nod it back into the danger area for Rhys Meynell to smash into the back of the net and give Celtic the lead.

The lead didn't last long when Joel Bembo-Lita's loose ball across the face of goal, while Jan Budtz was in the corner of box landed on Sam Patterson's feet. All Patterson had to do was get his shot on target, and he did.

Phil Marsh almost restored Celtic's lead immediately with a drive low shot that Lidakevicius had to be at full stretch to tip around the post, and Wilkinson set up Marsh in a crowded box before having a shot himself that was straight at Lidakevicius. As the half started to run out, Marsh had a couple of efforts go really close, firing across the face and just the wrong side of the post with a scissor kick as Celtic finished the stronger.

The second half contained the usual litany of substitutions by both sides. Barnsley were kept well at bay, reduced to distance shooting, whilst Celtic came close through Phil Marsh who tried to back heel through a crowd. Sam Patterson found Jan Budtz at his best when he did get close enough for a shot, as Budtz tipped the ball around the post for a corner. At the other end Jack Rea interchanged beautifully with Adam Kay and Mitchell Austin to fire at goal, only for Lidakevicius to pull off a great save. The corner was again not dealt with and Gnahoua put it back into the mix, but Kristian Platt lifted the ball over the bar.

Celtic got their nose in front through Andy McWilliams's industry. The Celtic full back overlapped Phil Marsh's run and pulled the ball back to Celtic's striker who knocked it onto Craig Hobson to smash a thunderbolt at goal that Lidakevicius got a hand too but couldn't keep it out.

After Marsh lifted Warburton's ball over the bar, Rea caught his studs in the turf avoiding Paul Digby's lunging tackle. It took Celtic some time to reorganise, allowing Matty Reece to sneak in and fire into the side netting under pressure from Andy McWilliams. Digby was again lunging in on Marsh just outside the box. Warburton's free kick had the curl, but not the dip and cleared the bar. Phil Marsh rounded the evening off with another run and shot, however Lidakevicius was well placed.

All in all, the performances are improving, and Jim Harvey still has areas to work on.

1Lidakevicius, Lukas  
2Stones, John  
3Steade, Matt  
4Scott, Jake  > 34
5Kilburn, Brad  
6Digby, Paul  > 90
7Taylor, Alistair  
8Turner, Kurtis  > 57
9Rose, Danny  
10Patterson, Sam  > 70
11Reece, Matty  
12Martin, Joe  < 34
15Abbott, Brad  
16Alderson, Josh  < 90
17Ngoma, Kenna  < 70
18Oates, Rhys  < 57
Main club sponsor
Dream Bi-Folding Doors Official Shirt Sponsors of Stalybridge Celtic
Warm-up Kit Sponsor
Mulgrew Haulage - Official Warm-up Kit Sponsors of Stalybridge Celtic
Site Sponsor
MG Domestic - Official Site Sponsors of Stalybridge Celtic
Hospitality Providers
Bower Fold Events - hospitality providers