Match Report -
Celtic Exit The FA Trophy
By Taran Dhamrait

Celtic exited the third round qualifying of the FA Trophy after a 3-2 defeat away at Marine.

Goals from Kyle Hawley and Jon Ustabasi weren’t enough, with Ustabasi missing a penalty in the 93rd minute of the game.

Marine started the better side and deservedly took the lead on 17 minutes. A tame strike from the edge of the area was parried by Tom Stewart, into the path of Nialll Cummins who stabbed home from a couple of yards out.

Celtic looked to respond and Ustabasi saw a header cleared off the line after a dangerous ball in from Freddie Sass.

Evangelinos also saw a headed effort but he couldn’t find the target.

Marine dominated the majority of the play and Celtic’s best chances were coming on the counter.

On 37 minutes, Celtic did level. Charley Doyle was able to retrieve the ball half way inside of Marine’s half, he found Hawley who was just to the right hand side of the penalty area, he let the ball come across him before firing a powerful effort across goal and into the bottom left corner to score his first Celtic goal.

Marine managed to re-take the lead in added time of the first half. A really soft free-kick was given by the referee, the ball was delivered and Anthony Miley ghosted in at the back post to restore Marine’s lead.

Celtic couldn’t have wished for a better start to the second half. A lovely free-flowing move down the right hand side saw Hawley, Evangelinos and Harris involved, the ball was worked across the pitch to Ustabasi who struck a first time effort from just outside the area into the net.

Celtic continued to press and Doyle saw a shot from range put behind for a corner but as the game went on, the hosts got back into the driving seat.

On 63 minutes, a ball across goal from the left was initially blocked by Sass, but at the second attempt Cummins fired under Stewart to restore Marine’s lead.

Marine then had a penalty with 20 minutes to go. Sephton fouled a Marine attacker who had raced free into the penalty area.

James Barrigan stepped up but saw his penalty superbly saved by Stewart, diving down to the keeper’s right.

Moments later, Jordan Helliwell had to clear a header off the line as Marine pushed for a fourth.

With nine minutes to go, a long throw from Sass was headed across goal by Sephton, Ustabasi arrived at the far post but he couldn’t connect with the ball.

There was late drama in added time. A ball into the box by Luke Barlow was spilled by the keeper, Ustabasi was a first to it and was clattered by the keeper.

Ustabasi stepped up but blasted the ball over the bar and the final whistle went with Marine progressing.

1Passant, Bayleigh  
2Solomon-Davies, Josh  
3Joyce, James  
4Doyle, Alex  > 90
5Miley, Anthony  
6Raven, David  
7Kengni, Neil  > 82
8Hmami, JoshYellow Card > 87
9Cummins, Niall  
10Touray, Mo  
11Barrigan, JamesYellow Card 
12Hughes, Adam  < 82
13Mendes, Jermano  
14Strickland, Kenny  < 90
15Devine, James  < 87
16Howard, Michael  
Main club sponsor
Dream Bi-Folding Doors Official Shirt Sponsors of Stalybridge Celtic
Warm-up Kit Sponsor
Mulgrew Haulage - Official Warm-up Kit Sponsors of Stalybridge Celtic
Site Sponsor
MG Domestic - Official Site Sponsors of Stalybridge Celtic
Hospitality Providers
Bower Fold Events - hospitality providers