Match Report -
Parr scores in his three hundredth appearance, but more was needed
By Iain Benson
Worcester hadn't read the script regarding Kevin Parr's three hundredth appearance for Celtic, and over the ninety minutes probably shaded the game.

The first half though, probably saw the best chances for a goal fall to Celtic. In the opening exchanges, Haran nodded a free kick down to Ellington. Ellington turned and shot, forcing Skyers into an excellent point blank block, the ball rebounding to Sykes whose header was deflected off Lyttle onto the post and out. Turley then whipped in a great post to the back post for Ellington, but Pearce was there to head over his own bar. Ellington then turned provider keeping in a seemingly impossible ball and pulling it back for Sykes, but again Pearce was there to block for a corner. Lyttle sliced a clearance for a soft corner that Prince floated to the back of the box. Barnard pulled it to Winn who smacked the ball towards goal only for Skyers to pull off a stunning full stretch save tipping the ball onto the post and out for a corner.

Worcester's first chance came from a long throw that Pettinger came for and fumbled, forcing Barnard to block Seddon's shot. Webster got another chance when he squeezed between Haran and Barnard to get his shot off, but couldn't get it on target.

Right before half time, Sykes and Lyttle went up for the same ball, Sykes got there first and forced Lyttle into a good block, the rebound spinning up for Ellington. Ellington's lobbed header almost went over Skyers, but the lithe goalkeeper made a good catch.

The second half saw a reversal in terms of chances. Worcester almost immediately got a corner, which was headed goalwards by Pearce, requiring Pettinger to push it onto the crossbar, the rebound fell to Webster whose header, under pressure, also came back off the crossbar. Worcester were leaving Celtic chasing shadows, and a goal was seemingly inevitable. It came when Clegg back-heeled the ball into the path of Seddon, which left Haran unable to follow, and with Pettinger helpless, Seddon slotted the ball in from close range off the post.

Worcester almost doubled their lead when Stanley put Webster through one-on-one with Pettinger with a well-weighted pass. Pettinger made a good block at his feet.

Celtic went looking for an equaliser, and Eastwood (on for Prince) whipped in a good cross to the back post meant for Sykes, but Lyttle was there to head narrowly over his own bar. The corner was put onto Haran's head, and knocked down to Winn, his shot from outside the box was straight at Skyers.

With Celtic committed, Worcester broke and scored a wonder goal that no keeper could have reached. Stanley's ball over the top of the defence was latched onto by Webster, turning and shooting on the volley with deadly accuracy into the top corner that left Pettinger grasping air.

Now Celtic had to find two goals. Garvey was brought on for Baynes, with Celtic switching to 3-4-3; his first touch was a cross meant for Ellington at the back post, but Thompson got there first and headed over his own bar. Worcester struggled to clear the corner as Celtic kept dropping it back into the box, it eventually fell to Ellington, but he put too much weight on the shot, and it was over. Ellington then turned provider, slipping the ball through to Eastwood, he made some space, but his shot was straight down the middle towards Skyers.

Parr was brought on to make his three hundredth appearance for Celtic, and had an immediate impact. His lob was flicked on by Eastwood into the path of Ellington; Ellington controlled it and slotted it past Skyers. Skyers and Lyttle crashed together blocking Winn's distance shot. The ball spilled to Sykes who prodded it towards goal only for Skyers to spring back to his feet and make an excellent block, putting the ball out for a corner. Parr then capped his evening off by getting onto the corner and smashing it into the back of the net! With six minutes to go, Celtic were level.

Garvey's ball meant for Winn was cut out by Lyttle, and then saw a twenty-five yard screamer flash just wide as Celtic went looking for a late winner and an improbable come-back. However, with Celtic sensing victory they left themselves wide open at the back. Webster came in, unmarked at the back post, substitute Wood lifted the ball over Haran and Pettinger right onto Webster's toe, and Worcester's top scorer wasn't going to miss an empty net.

There was just enough time for Celtic to get the ball to the edge of the Worcester where Turley and Eastwood interchanged to give Eastwood space for the shot, but it was straight at Skyers and Celtic failed to take anything from the game, losing ground on the play-offs in the process.

Match Sponsor
Rupert Wood Solicitors
Ball Sponsor
Lockwood and Greenwood
Man of the Match Sponsor
Crest Engineering
Main club sponsor
Dream Bi-Folding Doors Official Shirt Sponsors of Stalybridge Celtic
Warm-up Kit Sponsor
Mulgrew Haulage - Official Warm-up Kit Sponsors of Stalybridge Celtic
Site Sponsor
MG Domestic - Official Site Sponsors of Stalybridge Celtic
Hospitality Providers
Bower Fold Events - hospitality providers